- Great Northern Beans and Fresh Sweet Peas make a great savory side salad!
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). bacon
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cider vinegar
- 2 15.5 oz (434 grm). cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (475 ml) peas, cooked
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried savory, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups (950 ml) finely shredded cabbage, optional for serving suggestion
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved, optional for serving suggestion
- In a large skillet cook bacon over moderate heat until crisp.
- While the bacon is draining on paper towels, pour off all but 2 tbsp (30 ml) of bacon grease from skillet (save excess grease for another purpose, or discard).
- Add water and vinegar to skillet and simmer, whisking frequently.
- As mixture simmers, crumble bacon into dressing.
- Add beans, peas and savory and bring back to a simmer for about 1 minute.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- If desired, place each serving of bean salad atop 1/2 cup (125 ml) of shredded cabbage and garnish with four cherry tomato halves.
- Makes eight 3/4 cup servings. We like to add a little sugar and some sauteed onions to the water and vinegar dressing. A tablespoon or two of finely chopped sweet red pepper adds a nice touch of color.
I think this is an old Czech recipe.