- This recipe is over 75 years old and uses crushed vanilla wafers and a rich lemony filling.
- Susan Doocy
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) lemon rind
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup (225 ml) cream, whipped
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) vanilla wafers
- Beat egg yolks, salt, and sugar in top of double boiler.
- Stir in the lemon juice and rind and cook over hot, NOT boiling, water until mixture thickens and coasts a spoon.
- Remove from stove and chill.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and then fold in whipped cream and cooked mixture.
- Sprinkle half of the wafer crumbs in freezing tray, then pour in mixture.
- Top with remaining crumbs and cool until firm.
- Serve in finger length slices.
- I had this recipe way, way back in the late 60's and it was a favorite then. I haven't had it since, and I have never made it myself. This is from my then girlfriend's grandma, who made it for us. Honestly, I think she used more wafer crumbs than what she wrote down. Adjust as you think is best for your taste.