Broccoli Walnut Casserole
- So good you'll win an award for best chef!
- S. Chokel
- 1 cup (225 ml) long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 3 ribs (stalks) celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 oz (224 grm). shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 10 oz (280 grm). fresh broccoli, blanched and chopped
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Melt butter in large skillet, and saute celery and onion till onion is soft, but not browned.
- Add cooked rice, chopped broccoli, a shy 1/2 cup (125 ml) of nuts, and cheese.
- Pour into a greased casserole and top with remaining generous 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped nuts and bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for about 30 minutes.
- Note: This is an excellent way to serve broccoli at family meals, but especially nice for holiday dinners and potlucks! Add a can of cream of chicken soup and a soup can of milk and 2 cups of chopped cooked chicken for a tasty and simple main dish.