- The delicious dish of chick peas, tahini, lemon, garlic, and olive oil. Awesome at any party or setting, epecially with Pita Triangles.
- S. Chokel
- 2 cups (475 ml) (16 ounces) canned chick peas (garbanzo beans)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) tahini paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 lemons, for juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- Salt to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Combine the chick peas, tahini paste, garlic, lemon juice, 1/2 cup (125 ml) water. and salt to taste in a food processor or wide based blender. (If you do not have this, you can use a food mill or a seive).
- Process to a thick smoother puree.
- Remove from processor or blender and place in a pretty crock or bowl.
- Drizzle as much olive oil as you like, but enough to lightly cover the top to keep dip from crusting.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill, then serve. (you can eat it immediately too, very good!)
- Server with sliced wedges of Pita Bread.. you can leave them soft or lightly toast them in the oven. Also, good with cold raw vegetables as dippers.
- Tahini can be purchased in most specialty foods areas of major supermarket chains. It is toasted sesame seed paste and adds a delectible flavor. If you omit it, then add at least 1/4 or to taste of toasted sesame seed oil for flavor.
This is usually something "new" for most Americans, and strangely exotic to many.. but try it! It is easy, nutritious, and very tasty. Sort of like a super healthy version of a Frito-Lay Bean Dip, but the flavor is "cleaner" and fresher. If you like, go ahead and add crushed red pepper or hot pepper sauce to taste!
It is pronounced, Hum-mas.