Spicy Garam Masala Spice Mixture
- The spicier version of the basic spice for foods from India and the region. Easy and cheap to make at home!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:about 1/2 cup
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground bay leaf
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground coriander
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cumin
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cardamom
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground black pepper
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground mace
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cloves
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) kosher salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) to 3 tsp (15 ml) red chile powder, optional
- Combine all ingredients together in a medium bowl and blend well.
- Store in a glass, tightly sealing jar away from heat and light.
- This is an excellent spice to blend with oil for a great chicken marinade or add it to a cream cheese/sour cream mixture with thawed drained chopped spinach to dip bread or pita triangles in. (Look for recipe for Basic Garam Masala listed too!)
This spice recipe is excellent for pork, lamb, chicken or beef rubs for grilling.
Try a bit in with your fried or roasted potatoes for a great flavor!!
Note: If you can not find ground bay leaf, put 6 whole leaves in a coffee mill/grinder, and pulvarize until they are a powder.