- MsTified via RecipeCenter.com
Serves/Makes:10 Pita Pockets
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) dry yeast
- 2 tsp (10 ml) brown sugar
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) warm water
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix yeast and sugar with a 1/2 cup (125 ml) of warm water.
- Leave till it becomes foamy.
- Gradually pour liquid into flour mixture, adding just enough water to make a soft but not sticky dough.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Knead lightly on a floured surface.
- Divide dough into 10 equal portions, knead each one slightly.
- Roll each portion into an oval about 8' X 5'.
- Place on a lightly floured baking tray.
- Brush tops lightly with oil and let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake in a preheated 475 degree (250 C.) oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
- As soon as they are removed from the oven, brush very lightly with a little water, then cool on a wire rack.