Old Fashioned Vegetable Beef Soup
- Family recipe file
- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground beef, fried and browned.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups (475 ml) frozen peas
- 2 cups (475 ml) frozen green beans
- 2 cups (475 ml) frozen lima beans
- 2 14.5 oz (406 grm). cans stewed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves, optional
- 1 cup (225 ml) uncooked pearled barley
- Brown ground beef in frying pan.
- Add water and boil to get brownings out of pan.
- Pour browned water and ground beef into large stock pot.
- Add vegetables and seasonings; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer till vegetables are tender.
- Add barley and bay leaves towards end of cooking time.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Allow 2 hours for cooking time.
This always tastes better the second day. Any variety of vegetables may be added--according to preference. The amount of vegetables and water may be varied as well.