- 2 cups (475 ml) diced yellow onion
- 1 quart (950 ml) tomato puree
- 1 quart (950 ml) chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (225 ml) dry red wine
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) tomato paste
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) basil
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) oregano
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) butter
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) black pepper
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes
- 1 lb (.5 kg) ground meat, optional (see comments)
- Brown the butter in a large, heavy stock-pot (This is an important step.)
- Add the onions and cook them for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add everything else and cook covered for 1 1/2 hours over medium/low heat.
- Uncover and cook for 1/2 hour longer to thicken the sauce.
- cooking time: 2 hours
This freezes beautifully. For a meat sauce, add 1 lb. browned, ground pork, beef, or turkey meat.