- A great do-ahead brunch casserole.
- Donna Rice
- 1 12 oz (336 grm). package Jimmy Dean ground sausage-cooked, drained and crumbled
- 4-1/2 cups (1050 ml) cubed day-old bread
- 2 cups (475 ml) shredded sharp chedder cheese
- 10 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 cups (950 ml) whole milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dry mustard
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) onion powder
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) peeled chopped tomatoes or pico de gallo
- Put bread in well-buttered 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Combine eggs, milk, mustard, salt, onion powder and pepper.
- Pour over bread and cheese.
- Sprinkle cooked sausage, raw mushrooms and tomatoes (or pico de gallo) over top.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Bake at 325 degrees (175 C.) for 1 hour.
- Tent with poil if top begins to brown too quickly.
- The pico de gallo was an accident because that is what I had on hand instead of tomatoes.
Everyone thought it was wonderful and that the pico de gallo was what made the dish.