Camembert with Blue Cheese, Figs and Port Sauce
- Unique and tasty!
- SusanM and Seana
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). (4 1/2 inch diameter) firm Camembert cheese with rind
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 1 cup (225 ml) fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French bread
- 1 cup (225 ml) Ruby Port
- 1 cup (225 ml) dried black Mission Figs, halved lengthwise
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) crumbled blue cheese
- chopped fresh chives
- 1 French bread baguette, sliced into rounds, lightly toasted
- Brush Camembert on all sides with egg, then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Place on foil-lined plate and cover.
- Bring Port to simmer in a heavy small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add figs; simmer until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer figs to a small bowl.
- Add sugar to Port in pan; boil until reduced to a thick syrup, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Pour syrup over figs.
- Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add Camembert and cook until breadcrumbs are brown and cheese is warm, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to platter.
- Top with blue cheese, figs and syrup.
- Sprinkle with chives and surround with toasts.
- Elegant and wonderful!
Cheese and figs can be prepared 3 hours ahead. Refrigerate cheese. Let figs stand at room temperature.
To make bread crumbs, remove crusts and swirl bread cubes in food processor until they become the texture of coarse meal.