- Terri McK
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 2 bay leaves, whole
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cayenne
- 1 tsp (5 ml) black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) white pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) nutmeg
- 4 tbsp (60 ml). unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 c, celery, diced
- 2 tsp (10 ml) minced garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) ketchup
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). ground beef
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). ground pork
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (225 ml) very fine bread crumbs
- Combine seasoning in bowl; set aside.
- Melt butter in 1 quart (950 ml) sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, peppers, garlic, tabasco, Worcestershire, and seasoning mixture; saute 6 minutes.
- Stir in ketchup and milk; remove from heat and cool.
- In a bowl, combine meats, eggs, veggies, and bread crumbs.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Mix by hand into shape of loaf.
- Place loaf in ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Bake first uncovered for 25 minutes at 350 degrees (175 C.), then covered for another 35 minutes at 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Serve with hot sauce.
- I just spent a month in Montreal and came across this recipe from a local chef. The best meat loaf ever.