Coconut Curried Prawns and Scallops
- A Thai delight!
- 3/4 lb (.3 kg). medium to large prawns
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). large scallops
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh cilantro
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). paprika
- 1 pinch of ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml). ground cardamom
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried basil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) brown sugar
- 1 14 oz (392 grm). can coconut milk
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). fish sauce
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). green curry paste
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can of bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 8 oz (224 grm) can of sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) peanut oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sesame oil
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) jasmine or basmati rice
- 3 cups (700 ml) water
- Toss and set aside prawns, scallops,and ground turmeric.
- Combine in food processor until a paste chopped onion, garlic, paprika, cloves, cardamom and ginger; set aside.
- Heat in wok or saut pan peanut oil and sesame oil.
- Add processed paste from above.
- Cook on low heat for 10 minutes (add water if it starts burning).
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce, green curry paste, brown sugar and dried basil.
- Heat until boiling & then add shrimp & scallop mixture, diced tomato, bamboo shoots and water chesnuts.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, or until seafood is cooked.
- Add fresh cilantro and salt to taste.
- Serve over Jasmine rice (traditional) or Basmati rice.
- Bring rice and 3 cups (700 ml) of water to a boil.
- Reduce heat & simmer covered 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit covered another 15 minutes.
- Fluff and serve.
- Makes 4-1/2 cups (1050 ml).
- A to-die-for dish from our friend Seana. Add a big green salad and you've got a meal.