Chinese Hot and Spice Soup
- helen batenhorst
- 4 or more dried chinese mushrooms, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes
- 4 oz (112 grm). pork or chicken
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). package fresh tofu
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) chicken stock
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) rice vinegar
- salt and ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch paste to thicken
- Squeeze the soaked mushrooms dry, then discard the hard stalks.
- Thinly shred the mushrooms, meat, tofu and bamboo shoots.
- Bring the stock to a rolling boil in a wok and add the shredded ingt=redients.
- Bring back to a boil and simmer for about 1 minute.
- Add the wine or sherry, soy sauce and vinegar and season.
- Bring back to a boil, then add the cornstarch paste.
- Stir until thickened and serve.
- My son loves hot and sour soup so I searched and this is the closest I came. It's very good.