- Too many ears of corn leftover or left too long in their husks? This is the recipe for you!! Delicious Summer Fare! YUM!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 6 or more ears of corn, kernels cut from the cob
- 1 cup (225 ml) whole milk or half and half
- 3 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick (or equivelant Romas etc.)
- seasoned bread crumbs for topping, about 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) or so
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sugar to taste mixed with milk or half and half
- parmesan cheese
- In an ovenproof greased casserole dish, lay the shucked corn kernels on the bottom.
- Next, carefully pour the milk or half and half over the corn so the combine layer is settled and more or less, even, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top of the milk and corn. (You can use spings of fresh herbs of your choice to make a pretty design, dill or basil are very nice).
- Sprinkle on seasoned (and buttered if you like) bread crumbs all over the top of the tomato layer. The addition of parmesan cheese to the bread crumbs is nice too if you like.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees (175 C.). The bread crumbs will be browned and the tomato corn mixutre will bubble and thicken.
- Serve hot or warm for a great dish, it tastes very good cold too.
- Serve with fried chicken or fish for a really wonderful combination. This is a dish that older generations love and youngers ones like too!
Very simple and a way to use up the bumper crops of summer corn and tomato harvests! We have made this the whole meal with a small loaf of fresh sourdough bread in the summer.