- Old Timey Bisquick type biscuit dumplings in tomatoes. Comfort food from Appalachia.
- Kista Cook
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 2 quarts (1900 ml) whole canned tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- favorite biscuit mix (like Bisquick)
- saly and pepper, to taste
- Make enough biscuit mix to the consistency for Drop Biscuits for 6 large or 12 regular sized biscuits according to package instructions, set aside.
- Put tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar and milk into a stockpot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Scoop golf ball sized dough into the boiling tomato mixture.
- Reduce stockpot to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes covered.
- Serve in crockery bowls with generous pads of cold butter to melt onto dumplings and into tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
- You can make non-packaged feather dumplings or bread dumplings for this recipe, but Bisquick or Jiffy Baking mix is a quick and excellent way to go.
These are usually eaten as a stand alone meal, but you can sprinkle crisply cooked bacon or chopped and/or diced ham onto the dish too.