Gnocchi from Leftover Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- Momma Thyme
- For each cup of warmed mashed potato use 1 cup (225 ml) minus 2 tbsp (30 ml) unbleached white flour
- 1 egg yolk for every 1 cup (225 ml) of mashed potatoes
- salt, to taste
- pinch of paprika
- pinch of nutmeg
- chopped fresh parsley in desired amount
- Add the warm potatoes and flour, egg yolk, and seasonings, and knead on a floured surface just until dough is well mixed and not sticky. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll chunks of dough on floured board into logs about 1 inch thick.
- Cut into diagonal slices about 1/4 to 3/4 inches thick, and score if you like like shells or leave them plain.
- Bring a large pot of water, at least 6 quarts (5675 ml) for every 3 cups (700 ml) of gnocchi, to the boil.
- Add gnocchi.
- After they rise to the surface, adjust heat and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Drain well and cover with your favorite pasta sauce or saute them in butter, parmesan cheese, onion, garlic and salt and pepper to taste or blend into a rich alfredo sauce or cheese sauce.
- Do not overwork the gnocchi or they will be too tough. Use unbleached or semolina flour for best results. If you score the gnocchi, the sauces and/or butters will stick to them better.