Vegetable Chop Suey (A Heritage Recipe)
- A really simple, but delicious vegetable and rice bake.
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) onions, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) celery, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 cup (225 ml) mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) rice
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) salt
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 3-1/2 cups (825 ml) cold water
- Put the butter in a casserole and when the melted, add the sliced onions.
- Brown over a surface burner or in the oven at 500 degrees (250 C.) while preparing the rest of the vegetables.
- When the onions are brown add the remaining sliced vegetables, rice, bouillon cube, seasoning and water.
- Cover tightly and bake at 275 degrees (125 C.) for 3 hours.
- Note: It doesn't say so in the recipe, but I would dissolve the bouillon cube in the water BEFORE adding it to the dish. Heck, I was surprised to even SEE a bouillon cube asked for, I didn't know they were invented back in the early 20's!