- Rachel H.
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sifted flour
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) shortening
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). vanilla extract
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- Blend shortening with peanut butter in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually add brown sugar, creaming until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract; beat well.
- Blend in sifted dry ingredients gradually; mix thoroughly.
- Shape dough into balls using a rounded tspful for each.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Flatten balls with fork tines, crisscross fashion.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 10-12 minutes, until golden.
- This comes from a cookbook from overseas American (mostly)communities in Saudi Arabia established by ARAMCO. The Al Hasa Cookbook was put together from recipes provided by the families living there. It was originally printed in 1976, and reprinted in 1981. Tried and true, family tested recipes.