Squash Strudel With Red Pepper And Sage
- La Sante
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 red pepper, sliced into strips 1 1/2 inch (4cm)
- 1 onion halved lengthwise and thin sliced
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). butternut squash, peeled, cut into large pieces and thin sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh parmasean
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) bread crumbs (fine dry)
- 6 phyllo pastry sheets
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) melted butter
- Heat half of oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high.
- Add onion, pepper, and garlic; cook 5 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Reduce heat and add rest of oil; heat on medium.
- Add squash, cook 8 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in salt, pepper, sage, and cool in bowl.
- Combine cheese and bread crumbs into seperate bowl.
- Brush one phyllo sheets with butter and sprinkle 1 tbsp (15 ml) bread crumb mixture.
- Layer four more sheets buttering and using bread crumb mixture on each.
- Top with remaining sheet of phyllo and brush with butter.
- Spoon a 3-inch wide strip of squash mixture lengthwise down pastry 2-inches from edge.
- Fold 1-inch of pastry ends over filling and carefully roll up pastry around filling.
- Place seam side down on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush remaining butter over roll.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Cut diagonal slits in top of pastry.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until golden.
- Nice light summer side dish. It can make ahead up to 4 hours before baking.