- Gerry Lefevers Oatmeal Cookies everyone loves
- Ann Arber
- 1 cup (225 ml) shortening
- 1 cup (225 ml) brown sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 3 cups (700 ml) oatmeal
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) currants (can use chopped raisins)
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients, then nuts,and currants.
- Roll into two rolls in waxed paper.
- 1/4 Slice " thick.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for about 10 minutes.
- Let cool a minute on the sheet.
- My Mother would make these all the time when we were growing up. My brothers would hunt for the hidden cookie cans so enthralled were they by these cookies. Hahahaha My own children and grandchildren now smile when they know I am baking them too.
I let them brown a bit as I like crisp cookies.