- 1 4 lb (1.8 kg). boneless leg of lamb OR
- 8 shoulder lamb chops
- 8 slivers garlic
- 8 small carrots, cut in half
- 8 small white onions
- 8 small stalks celery, cut into 20 inch pieces
- 8 small potatoes, peeled, halved, and buttered with 4 tbsp (60 ml) melted butter
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried oregano
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried mint
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- If using leg of lamb, cut meat into eight 4 to 5-inch serving pieces.
- Make incisions in meat and insert slivers of garlic.
- Place each piece of meat on a large square of heavy-duty aluminium foil.
- Distribute the vegetables evenly among the eight packets.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice, salt, pepper, oregano, and mint.
- Fold the foil in double fold at top and seal like a package.
- Arrange packages close together in a baking pan and bake 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Serve each foil package, sealed, on dinner plate and let each guest open his own.
- Variation: Other vegetables can be used, such as 4 small courgettes, cut up; 4 ripe tomatoes, quartered; 4 green peppers, cut into eighths; 2 medium aubergines, peeled and cubed; 8 artichoke hearts, or 8 whole large mushrooms.
You could alternatively just cook the whole lot in a casserole with a really tight fitting lid if you cannot be bothered with all this 8 bits of stuff business!