- Rump or sirloin steak with green or black peppercorns
- 4 rump or sirloin steaks
- black or fresh green whole peppers,to taste
- Marinade :
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar or red wine
- 1 or more cloves garlic, to taste
- 1 tsp (5 ml). herbs, fresh or dried (I like rosemary but mixed are fine)
- chopped onion (optional)
- Mix all ingredients for marinade.
- Trim any excess fat from steaks.
- Place steaks in a dish large enough to hold all four steaks on one layer.
- Pour over marinade and leave for at least 1 hour (longer is better) in refridgerator.
- Heat grill and place steaks on rack, and grill for about five minutes on each side. (Longer if you like it well done).
- Add peppercorns as the steak is turned. (If you like it very peppery, put some on the first side as well - my family love it like this).
- I sometimes use a pinch each of cinnamon and nutmeg instead of the herbs to give a different dish.
More olive oil may be added (or less vinegar) but I can't cope with too much oil.
Quick tip: Add 1 t. English mustard to the marinade instead of the garlic. It gives a milder flavour.
Good cooked on the BBQ as well!
You can cut the onion into rings and grill with the steak.