Spicy Chicken and Pasta Stew
- 4 oz (112 grm). bow tie or penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 tsp (10 ml). olive oil
- 3/4 lb (.3 kg). skinned, boned chicken breast halves
- 2 tsp (10 ml). minced garlic
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). can no-salt-added chicken broth
- 1 14-1/2 oz (406 grm). can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). dried, crushed red pepper
- 2 cups (475 ml) tightly packed torn fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Meanwhile, cut chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Add chicken and garlic to pan; cook 5 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, tomatoes, and crushed pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Add pasta and spinach to pan.
- Cook 2 minutes, or until spinach wilts, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle stew into individual bowls; sprinkle with cheese.
- Per serving: Calories 288 Fat 5.7G Fiber 2.0G
- My crew likes garlic and crushed red pepper, so I add accordingly. We've done this with shrimp as well, and it turns out great.