- Chinese dish with Western flair ie. includes ingredients such as milk and mayonnaise
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) walnuts
- 5 cups (1175 ml) water
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) oil
- 16 medium prawns, peeled and cleaned
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) egg whites
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) oil
- Honey Mayonnaise:
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). honey
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp (7 ml). condensed milk
- Rinse walnuts; then boil in 5 cups (1175 ml) water, continually changing water until clear
- When clear, add sugar and boil until sugar disolves.
- Heat 2 cups (475 ml) oil until almost smoking.
- Deep fry walnuts until they are shiny and brown (no longer golden).
- Remove walnuts to cookie sheet and let cool.
- Mix cornstarch and egg whites together to form thick, sticky texture.
- Mix well with prawns and set aside.
- Mix honey, mayonaise, lemon juice and condensed milk in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Heat 1/2 cup (125 ml) oil to boiling point and deep fry prawns until golden brown.
- Drain, and then fold in honey-mayonnaise mixture.
- Arrange on platter.
- This is an absolutely luscious dish.
You could, as the Chinese often do, just dust the prawns
with cornstarch rather than making a batter.