- Diane Saul
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) self-rising flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 1 oz (28 grm). bottles red food coloring
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/3 sticks butter, softened
- 10 oz (280 grm). cream cheese softened
- 1 lb (.5 kg). box confectioners sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) chopped pecans
- (double this to have plenty of frosting)
- Mix all ingredients together with an electric mixer.
- Spray 3 9 inch round pans with cooking spray or cut waxed paper rounds for pan bottoms to keep from sticking.
- Pour cake batter in and bake 20 minutes.
- Test for doneness with a toothpick.
- Cool layers in pans for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove from pans to cool completely
- Combine butter, cream cheese, and confectioner sugar in bowl.
- Beat until fluffy.
- Fold in pecans.
- Use to fill and frost cake when it is coo.l
- I put the cake in the freezer for a little while before frosting. It makes it easier to frost.
This was given to me by Donna Spiers one of the teachers at school. It is a really moist cake. This is the cake everyone request she bring when we do potluck.