Paul Prudhomme's Barbecue Sauce
- Use on barbecued chicken, pork or ribs.
- Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). sliced bacon, minced
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) chopped onions
- 2 cups (475 ml) basic pork, beef or chicken stock
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) bottled chili sauce
- 1 cup (225 ml) honey
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) coarsely chopped pecans, dry roasted
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) orange juice (also slice and save rind and pulp from 1/2 the squeezed orange)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice (also slice and save rind and pulp from 1/4 of the squeezed lemon)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) minced garlic
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Tabasco sauce
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) unsalted butter
- Seasoning mix:
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) onion powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) white pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground red pepper (preferably cayenne)
- Combine seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a 2 quarts (1900 ml) saucepan, fry the bacon over high heat until crisp.
- Stir in the onions, cover pan, and continue cooking until onions are dark brown but not burned, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the seasoning mix and cook about 1 minute.
- Add the stock, chili sauce, honey, pecans, orange juice, lemon juice, orange and lemon rinds and pulp, garlic and Tabasco, stirring well.
- Reduce heat to low;continue cooking about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove orange and lemon rinds.
- Continue cooking and stirring about 15 minutes more to let the flavors blend.
- Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Let cool about 30 minutes, then pour into a food processor or blender and process just until pecans and bacon are finely chopped, about 10 to 20 seconds.