- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) chopped onion
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) diced celery
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) hot water
- 2 cups (475 ml) cubed peeled boiling potatoes, 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups (700 ml) frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- dash white pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) flour
- 1 quart (950 ml) half and half cream
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery and saute 5 minutes until soft but not brown.
- Add water, potatoes, corn, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes are barely tender, about 30 minutes.
- Whisk flour into 1 cup (225 ml) half and half.
- Stir into soup.
- Add remaining 3 cups (700 ml) half and half and simmer until soup has thickened to creamy consistency, about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- If too thick, add milk; if too thin, simmer 5 to 10 more minutes.