- 4 cups (950 ml) chicken stock
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 lb (.5 kg). red skin potatoes, small dice
- 1 cup (225 ml) fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) onion, diced
- 1/2 each red and green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) whole milk, half and half, or cream.
- 1 tsp (5 ml) thyme
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- fresh ground black pepper.
- Saute butter and bacon until slightly browned.
- Add all the vegetables except corn and potatoes.
- Saute 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the corn and cream) simmer covered for 20-25 minutes.
- Add the corn and the cream and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- For a southwest flavor, omit the thyme and add 1 T. chili powder, 1 t. cumin, and 1/2 t. cayenne pepper. Garnish with chopped cilantro.