- Lovely Egg/Cheese dish
- Pastry for 9 inch one crust pie
- 8 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (225 ml) shreddec Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) finely chopped onion
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups (475 ml) whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) ground red pepper (cayenne)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- Prepare pastry. Ease into quiche pan, 9 x 1 1/2 inches or 9 inch pie plate.
- Sprinkle bacon, cheese, and onion in pastry-lined pan.
- Beat eggs slightly, beat in remaining ingredients.
- Pour egg mixture over the bacon/cheese mixture in pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperture to 300 degrees (150 C.).
- Bake about 30 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- You can add 1 can of mushrooms, drained and 1 jar of pimentos with the bacon for a mushroom quiche.
Also another version uses seafood. Substitute 1 cup chopped cooked crabmeat, shrimp, fish sticks, or salmon for the bacon and green onion for the onion. Be sure to pat the crabmeat dry.
For a lighter version, use evaporated skim milk for the whipping cream.
You can also use any kind of bought pie crust.