Quiche Lorraine Ala Prickly Pear
- Prickly Pear
- 1 uncooked pie crust (9 or 10 inches)
- 12 slices bacon or like amount of ham, cooked and diced
- l c .shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) minced onion
- 1/2 of a green bell pepper, diced
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups (475 ml) light cream or whipping cream
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) sugar
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) cayenne (red) pepper
- Heat oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- Have pastry ready.
- Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion and bell pepper in pie pan.
- Beat remaining ingredients together and pour over all in pie shell.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees (150 C.) and bake about 30 minutes longer or until knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean.
- Let pie stand 10 minutes prior to serving.
- This is an easy quick favorite. You can subsitute hamburger for the bacon/ham and cheddar for the cheese and put in a 1/4 t thyme and have another style quiche.