Potroast with Vegetables in a Mushroom Sauce
- Alex Redding
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). fat or oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 3-1/2 lbs (1.6 kg). or larger beef or pork roast
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) inexpensive whisky (I use Crown Royal)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins Preferred)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) or more minced garlic
- 6 medium sized potatoes
- 6 carrots
- 1-1/6 onion
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). mushrooms
- Season the flour with salt and pepper and pound the mixture into the meat with a rolling pin, try not to break the surface of the meat.
- Brown meat on all sides in the hot fat or oil.
- Place roast in pan.
- Sprinkle onion soup mix over the top and spoon mushroom soup on top of that.
- Pour in the whisky and Worcestershire and water.
- Cut the potatoes into 1/2 inch slices.
- Cut the carrots into two-inch lengths.
- Cut the onion into 1/4 inch slices.
- Put all the vegetables into the pan, along with the mushrooms & garlic, on and around the meat.
- Cover with foil (or top of roasting pan) to allow room above the vegetables.
- Place in oven at 325 degrees (175 C.) for 3 hours.
- This recipe works very well with crock pots and slow cookers, too.