- Mountain Home Lodge Bed and Breakfast
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 3/4 pound butter
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) canola oil
- 6 cups (1425 ml) sugar
- 15 eggs, separated
- 3 cups (700 ml) buttermilk
- 3 tsp (15 ml) baking soda
- 6 cups (1425 ml) pastry flour
- 3 tsp (15 ml) vanilla
- 3 cups (700 ml) shredded coconut
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) pecans, roasted and chopped
- Cream butter, oil, and sugar until fluffy.
- Add yolks in 3 parts, beating after each addition.
- Stir baking soda into buttermilk that is in a container at least 4 times its volume.
- Set aside.
- Add sifted flour into batter, alternating with buttermilk. Add vanilla, coconut, and nuts (dust the nuts with flour before adding so they do not settle at the bottom).
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into batter.
- Pour into prepared pans that have been greased and lined with parchment.
- Bake at 325 degrees (175 C.) for 40 minutes.
- Cool and frost with your favorite cream cheese frosting. You can flavor the frosting with coffee if desired.
- Do not keep this cake out of refrigeration for more than 2 hours.
- This is a real show stopper for a wedding cake or special evening presentation.