- An adhesive bound breading for deep frying
- flour seasoned with salt, pepper and paprika
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 2 tsp (10 ml) to 3 tsp (15 ml) water or milk
- 2 tsp (10 ml) oil
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sifted seasoned dry bread crumbs
- fresh broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
- Place seasoned flour in one bowl.
- Mix egg, milk and oil in second bowl.
- Do Not let egg get bubbly as this makes the coating uneven.
- Place dry bread crumbs in third bowl.
- Dip dry food in bowl of seasoned flour.
- Toss it lightly from one palm to the other, patting it gently and encouraging any excess flour to fall off.
- Then slide the flour coated food through the egg mixture allowing any excess to drip off.
- Then place the food in the breadcrumbs.
- See that the breadcrumbs adhere evenly all over.
- Handle the food very gently so that the coating will not be cracked.
- Place on a rack to dry for about 20 minutes before deep drying.
- Do not chill the food before frying as that will make it absorb an undue amount of fat.
This recipe is on page 552 of Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombauer and Marion Rombaujer Becker