Poor Man's Corned Beef Supper
- Spanish-style corned beef
- Elsa Schafer
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1 can corned beef
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). jar Spanish olives
- 5 small red potatoes, cubed
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) black pepper
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can tomato sauce
- 2 cups (475 ml) white rice
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- In large sauce pan add 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil and corned beef.
- Cook corned beef until separated; add tomato sauce.
- Add garlic, black pepper, olives and potatoes.
- Cover and cook at medium heat until potatoes are tender.
- In separate sauce pan with lid add rice, water, salt and oil
- Bring to a rolling boil and stir; cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Serve corned beef over rice.
- Tabasco adds a great touch to this easy, inexpesive meal. My mother is from Puerto Rico and they made this often when funds were low since it went a long way and tasted great. This dish is served with the rice on the bottom and the corned beef spooned on top. Sometimes a fried egg is served on top for variation. Buen Provecho!