Serves/Makes:2 1/2 dozen cookies
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) peanut butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) shortening
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) margarine or butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- granulated sugar
- Mix 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar, the brown sugar, peanut butter, shortening, margarine and egg in large bowl.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Shape dough into small 1 1/4 inch balls.
- Place about 3 inches apart on ungreased cooky sheet.
- Flatten in crisscross pattern with fork dipped in granulated sugar.
- Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool 5 minutes and remove from cooky sheet.
- Cool on wire rack.
- This is the classic peanut butter cookie.