Christmas Cut-Out Cookies and Icing
- Perfect Christmas Cut-Out Cookies
- Cookie Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3 oz (84 grm). package cream cheese
- 1 cup (225 ml) white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (475 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking powder
- Icing Ingredients:
- 1 cup (225 ml) confectioners sugar
- 3 tsp (15 ml) milk
- 2 tsp (10 ml) light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) almond extract
- assorted food coloring
- Cookie Directions:
- In large bowl, cream together the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the creamed mixture.
- Divide dough into two pieces, wrap in waxed paper and chill until firm (about 1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters and place the cookies at least one-inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets (I recommend using parchment paper or Silpats).
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes in preheated oven until bottoms are lightly browned and the cookies are firm.
- Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.
- Icing Directions:
- In a small bowl, stir together confectioners sugar and milk until blended.
- Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy.
- If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
- Divide into separate bowls, add food colorings to each to desired intensity.
- Frost, dip, or paint frosting on cookies with a brush.
- Decorate if desired with colored sprinkles or frosting piped through a bag.
- You can also substitute vanilla extract for the almond extract if you prefer the flavor.