Broccoli, Bacon and Onion Salad
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). bag frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 3 oz (84 grm). bag dried sweetened cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 10 or more slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) or more shelled sunflower seeds (amount according to your taste)
- 1 cup (225 ml) finely shredded cheddar cheese (be sure to use the smallest holes on your cheese grater - it does make a difference.)
- 1 cup (225 ml) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- Rinse broccoli.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces, removing most of the stems.
- Place in a large bowl.
- Add peas, cranberries, onion, crumbled bacon, sunflower seeds and cheese, and mix thoroughly.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Pour over salad and mix thoroughly.
- Chill for at least three hours before serving, or overnight.