Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). baking potatoes
- 1 cup (225 ml) to 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 25 to 30 croutons
- Cook, peel and mash potatoes the day before you intend to make dumplings.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Before cooking, mix with 1 cup (225 ml) flour, beaten eggs and salt.
- Add more flour, 1 tbsp (15 ml) at a time, if necessary, until the dough is smooth and can be kneaded.
- Knead thoroughly on floured board until smooth.
- Shape dumplings with floured hands or two floured spoons.
- Press a few croutons into center of each, molding dumplings around it.
- Cook test dumpling.
- Potato dumplings should be done in 10 minutes.
- They are always served with meat an gravy dishes, never in soup.