Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1 lb (.5 kg). flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1 cup (225 ml) soda water
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- Sp tzle are prepared in many different shapes: there is the round button-shaped variety where the dough is stirred through the holes of a Sp tzle sieve, or the oblong, Swabian kind, where the Spatzle are cut with a scraping motion from a board, or are made with the help of Spatzle slicer or press.
- Spatzle are made the following way:
- Sift the flour into a bowl, and add the milk and soda water, mixing well.
- Add the eggs and salt, mix, and beat the dough with a wooden spoon until small bubbles form.
- Let the dough rest for 1/2 hour.
- In the meantime, boil up plenty of salted water in a large pot.
- Cut or slice the Spatzle in batches into the boiling water, bring each batch briefly to a boil, then lift out with a slotted spoon, drain in a colander and chill under running cold water.
- Spread the Spatzle on a board to steam off the moisture, then heat them in butter before serving.