- Various Veggies in a cheese soup base
Serves/Makes:10 or so
- 5 lbs (2.3 kg). potatoes, cleaned, sliced and cubed
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). carrots, cleaned, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, cleaned, peeled and sliced
- 2 white onions, diced
- 1 head cauliflower, cleaned and cut
- 2 bunches broccoli, cleaned and cut
- 1/2 head cabbage, cleaned and sliced
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). ham chub, cut into cubes
- 1 lb (.5 kg). velveta, cubed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In large saucepan, combine all ingredients except cheese, milk and cornstarch.
- Fill pan with water, just covering vegetables and ham, cover pan.
- Allow veggies to get almost tender and then add milk.
- When mixture begins to boil again, make cornstarch adding it with 1/2 cup (125 ml) cold water.
- Add to boiling soup, slowly, while stirring constantly. This is not intended to make it thick, just not quite so thin.
- Reduce heat and start adding cubed cheese, stirring constantly.
- Once cheese is melted and the soup is seasoned to taste, it is ready to be served.
- I just made this soup up experimenting one day. I use different veggies or not as many on occasion. Some times you may need to increase the cornstarch to make the soup a little less thin. I go by sight and to each his/her own. My family loves it and that is why I make such a big batch....so we don't argue over the left-overs!