- Penne pasta in an Italian Napolitana sauce.
- 12 oz (336 grm). penne or other small tubular pasta
- 4 Tbsp (60 ml). virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml). minced garlic
- 1 cup (225 ml) pitted, ripe olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml). bottled red pepper flakes
- 2 cups (475 ml) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cubed mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated parmesan cheese
- Drop penne into kettle of boiling water, return to boil and boil gently for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente.
- Drain, toss with 1 Tbsp (15 ml). olive oil, return to pan and keep warm.
- Saute garlic slowly in 3 Tbsp (45 ml). olive oil in skillet until softened, but not browned.
- Add olives, basil, red pepper and tomato sauce; heat.
- Stir in cheeses and beat, stirring, until chunks begin to melt.
- Pour over pasta.
- Pass additional grated parmesan cheese to sprinkle over if desired.
- Simple and quick to assemble.