- Martha Purdy
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 6 cups (1425 ml) whole or 1 percent milk
- 5 slices firm white bread
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground nutmeg or to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- Grease a 13 by 9 inch glass baking dish.
- In a 2 quarts (1900 ml) saucepan, heat milk just to boiling over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, toast bread.
- Spread butter on 1 side of slices; cut each diagonally into quarters.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt until blended.
- Gradually whisk hot milk into egg mixture until well combined.
- Pour custard into baking dish.
- Arrange bread, buttered side up, on top of custard; sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Set baking dish in large (17 x 11 1/2 inch) roasting pan; place pan on oven rack. Pour enough boiling water into pan to come halfway up sides of baking dish.
- Bake custard 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Transfer baking dish to wire rack; let stand 15 minutes to cool before serving.
- Or cover and refrigerate to serve cold later.