- Martha Purdy
- 1 cup (225 ml) white sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) dark corn syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking soda
- 1 lb (.5 kg). chocolate confectioners' coating
- Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, corn syrup and vinegar.
- Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
- Heat, without stirring, to 300 degrees (150 C.) to 310 degrees (150 C.), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms hard, brittle threads.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda.
- Pour into prepared pan; do not spread.
- Mixture will not fill pan.
- Allow to cool completely.
- In the microwave or over a double boiler, melt coating chocolate, stirring frequently until smooth.
- Break cooled candy into bite sized pieces and dip into melted candy coating.
- Let set on waxed paper.
- Store tightly covered.