- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml). baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) black currants,
- raisins or chopped dates
- 1 beaten egg
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Cut in butter until it forms fine crumbs.
- Add fruit and mix well.
- Add beaten egg (saving 1 tbsp (15 ml) to brush tops) and enough milk to form a soft dough.
- Do not knead.
- Form into two equal balls on cookie sheet and pat each into a 6 inch circle.
- Score into 8 triangles each by pressing a large knife across the circle like spokes of a wheel.
- Brush tops with remaining egg.
- Do not separate.
- Bake at 400 degrees (200 C.) for 15 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Delicious served with butter or jam.
My mother's recipe and she baked this in a shallow cast iron skillet.