Chocolate Fudge Nut Rolls
- contributed to Country women by Connie Korbel,
Serves/Makes: 2 1/4 pounds
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine
- 1 1 oz (28 grm). square unsweetened chocolate
- 3 cups (700 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) honey
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 12 oz (336 grm). bag semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp (5 ml) shortening
- 3 cups (700 ml) chopped walnuts
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat.
- Add sugar, milk, honey and salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cover and continue to boil for 2 minutes. Uncover and cook, without stirring until a candy thermometer reads 240 degrees(soft-ball stage).
- Remove from heat; stir in vinegar. Let cool to 110 degrees (45 C.).
- Add vanilla, beat vigorously by hand until mixture thickens and loses its gloss, about 8-10 minutes.
- Turn onto a buttered baking sheet and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Knead for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Shape into 4 in. X 1 1/2 inch rolls.
- Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- Chill for 3 to 4 hours.
- Melt choclolate chips and shortening in a double boiler or microwave-safe bowl.
- Dip rolls in chocolate; roll in nuts.
- Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets and chill until firm.
- Cut into 1/4 in slices.