Egg, Dairy & Sugar Free Biscuits
- Prickly Pear
Serves/Makes:6 good-sized biscuits
- 2 cups (475 ml) sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 3 tsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) margarine or solid shortening
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) water OR rice OR soy "milk"
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Cut in margarine (OR shortening) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour in water (OR rice OR soy "milk")and blend until dough comes together.
- Knead lightly 4 or 5 times.
- Roll out to 1/2" thick.
- Cut out with biscuit cutter(OR drinking glass).
- Place on baking/cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from baking sheet and place on wire rack to cool.
- This recipe is easily doubled. It also freezes well. You can use this as a base recipe for strawberry short cake, etc. If you so desire, you can use an artificial sweetner such as Splenda, Equal, etc. (use 1 to 2 packages, or to taste).
Also, if you desire a drop-style biscuit, increase liquid to 3/4 cup and drop by large spoonfuls onto baking sheet that has been sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray.