Rum Bundt Cake (with Pina Colada Cake adaptation)
- Laura and Jay's Mom
Serves/Makes:12 or more
- Cake Ingredients:
- 1 package basic yellow cake mix*
- 1 small package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 large or x-large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dark rum
- chopped nuts to line the bottom of the Bundt pan
- Glaze Ingredients:
- 1/4 pound butter, (1 stick)
- 1 cup (225 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) rum
- Cake Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Prepare the bundt pan by greasing it well, and laying the chopped nuts as evenly as possible along the bottom of the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and with an electric beater or mixer, beat for 3 minutes.
- Pour mix slowly and carefully into the Bundt pan, making sure not to disrupt the nuts if possible.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees (175 C.), or until the top is golden and a finger check bounces back.
- Remove cake from the pan and place on a serving plate.
- Glaze Directions:
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the water and sugar. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the rum.
- Then, using a fork or skewers, carefully pierce the top of the cake along the top 1/4 of the cake.
- Slowly, and as evenly as possible, pour the rum glaze over the cake, (the glaze will soak into the pierced holes and go into the cake).
- Serve room temperature or chilled. Excellent with whipped cream.
- *Do not use "Pudding in the Mix" varieties.
Pina Colada Cake:
One of my special touches to this cake recipe is to add a can of crushed pineapple and some angel flake coconut. Drain a can of crushed pineapple and reserve the liquid, add the pineapple and the coconut to the cake mix. Then, using chopped macadamia nuts, and if you like, a few well placed marachino cherries, line the bottom of the Bundt pan. When you make the glaze, omit the water and use 1/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice and glaze the cake the same way.