- shrimp served in a bamboo steamer
- Vicky Bryant
- 1 lb (.5 kg). large shrimp
- 1 bunch spring onions, roots cut off but left whole
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) whole black peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 fresh limes, cut in half
- 1 12 oz (336 grm). bottle beer (Heineken or equivalent)
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Old Bay seasoning
- Place all but shrimp in a pot of water/beer (pot big enough to allow shrimp to roll around during the boil).
- Be sure and squeeze limes into water then toss them in pot.
- Allow water/beer to come to a boil.
- Add shrimp.
- Cook just until shrimp turns pink and comes to the top (about 2 minutes).
- Remove everything with a large strainer.
- Place in bamboo steamer and serve.
- I know you asked for steamed shrimp but I think the shrimp has a better flavor when actually cooked in the liquid. I then remove everything and serve in a bamboo steamer. Makes a fun and nice presentation.
Cocktail sauce - ketchup, lime juice, horseradish, Worchestershire - mix according to taste.