Pasta with Walnut Cream Sauce
- This gives the full punch of a rich & flavorful meal to make for your family. Yet, is has been configured to be healthy and low-fat and low-calorie.
- S. Chokel
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) walnuts
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) evaporated skim milk (divided use)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) plus 2 tbsp (30 ml) grated parmesan cheese (divided use)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped parsley
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) black pepper
- 8 cups (1900 ml) hot cooked fettuccini or linguine
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) butter (or margarine)
- Place oil, walnuts, ricotta and 1/4 cup (60 ml) of evaporated skim milk in a blender or a food processor and pulse until the nuts are finely chopped.
- Add the remaining evaporated skim milk, 1/4 cup (60 ml) parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper, blending them well. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and toss with butter (or margarine) until the butter is melted and coating the pasta.
- For each serving, place 1-1/3 cups (325 ml) pasta on plate, top with 2-1/2 tbsp (35 ml) of sauce and sprinkle with 1 tsp (5 ml) of parmesan cheese.
- Serve this with a nice crisp salad with an Italian Viniagrette and add a piece of grilled fish or chicken for a heartier meal for hungrier families!