Mushroom and Almond Tapenade
- A wonderful appetizer to serve guests, or a nice accompaniment for special evenings with your loved one!
- Michael's BabyCakes
Serves/Makes:1 1/2 cups approx.
- 8 oz (224 grm). assorted mushrooms,cleaned, trimmed and minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) capers
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 clove garlic,crushed
- 2 tsp (10 ml). red wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml). chopped fresh parsley
- Mince mushrooms and shallots with a knife or in a food processor.
- Warm olive oil over medium heat in a medium, nonstick skillet.
- Add mushrooms and shallots when the oil is hot but not smoking; cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are very tender and still a bit moist, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- In the meantime, place almonds, capers, olives and garlic into a blender or food processor; pulse until very finely minced.
- Let mushrooms and shallots cool for at least five minutes; then stir in olive mixture.
- Stir in vinegar and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or cold on crostini or toasted Italian bread, or with pita bread scoopers.
Note: Oyster mushrooms provide a nice texture and mild flavor. Do not use portobellos; their flavor is too strong, and they contain too much moisture.